Steam Controller Bluetooth firmware

Just a quick post if somebody else finds this useful also. I managed to get a really cheap used Steam Controller. The controller works fine and is in nice condition.
Steam Controller

The problem is that mine came without the proprietary receiver. I thought that no problem, I can just use Bluetooth. However the controller would not show up on my Windows PC. Then I read that you have to update firmware to enable BLE. Ok, no big deal I thought, I just use Steam client to update the firmware. And yes it seemed like this was possible some years ago, but now there is no way to update the controller from the UI. Luckily there is still command line tool for Windows from Valve to do this. The instructions are in this post in Steam community: https://steamcommunity.com/app/353370/discussions/1/6516193260178656983/?tscn=1687207374#c6516193260183103338
I just extracted the contents of the Steam_Controller_FW_Update_Tool.zip, connected Steam Controller with USB cable and ran ble.bat. Then I unplugged the controller, powered it off and then powered back on by pressing B + Steam to enable Bluetooth mode. And now the controller showed in Windows Bluetooth devices and I could pair it. After that the controller has worked fine wireless.
The Steam web pages actually still contain FAQ for the BLE firmware. The firmware update info is not valid anymore but the rest of info should be valid: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/1796-5FC3-88B3-C85F
Here is screen capture of the different modes just in case the Steam FAQ gets deleted one day.

Steam Controller modes


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Xbox 360 wireless controller with corroded battery holder

iPega PG-9087S "Red Knight" controller for mobile phones